[mythtv] Codec optimization (painful high motion scenes)

Ryan A. Carris rac at racarris.com
Wed Feb 5 21:05:53 EST 2003

I have this same problem, especially with Basketball games. My Athlon
1700XP is only at ~60%, but yet I get stutters.  I was guessing it was
something else in KDE grabbing the kernel or the harddrive.

I'm using a Nvidia on-board graphics with a VGA-->NTSC converter, so I
doubt it is your Matrox G400.

I'm thinking about trying the Preemptive Kernel Patch or the Low Latency
Kernel Patch.  I was reading an article yesterday (at midnight, so
forgive me if i remember it wrong. to find it, google linux tuning)
about the Preemptive patch.  It included a plot of an audio wave
spectrum encoded w/ and w/o the patch.  There was clearly drops in the
plot w/o the patch, implying that the patch did wonders.  They also said
they could hear the difference.  The preemptive kernel patch will reduce
the overall efficency of the proccessor but should allow the other
processes to jump in and out of the kernel a lot quicker than normal and
hopefully not be visually obvious.

Does anyone have experience with the Preemptive Kernel Patch?

-rac