[mythtv] backend plus frontend

Ken VanDine ken at bizrace.com
Mon Feb 3 00:11:19 EST 2003

I did that and no luck.  Mythfrontend starts fine, setup finds the settings in
the database on the backend just fine.  When I select TV from the main
mythfrontend menu, the frontend seg faults.  Not sure what could be causing it.

Is there a reason localhost is hard coded in the source?  I did change it and
recompile, but it would be much cleaner to get that from the
backend_settings.txt file.

So, I assume you have successfully run it in this fashion?  I really need to,
all I have is an P3 866 for the backend and a P3 733 for the frontend.  I do not
have a machine fast enough to watch live tv at.  My 866 can record well using
mpeg-4 at 480x480, it also plays it back just fine.  So, I figure separating the
tasks is just what I need.  I think it is a great design.  Another question, how
does the backend handle multiple TV capture cards to sound cards?  Do I have to
have 1 sound card per capture card?  How do you manage this for play back?  How
does it know which video to match to which audio?  If this works out, I want to
upgrade the 866 box to an athlon or P4 (maybe SMP) and put in a few 120GB drives
and RAID them.  Then add several capture cards so I can watch live tv on 2 tv's
and also record a third program simultaneously.  I know it would have to be a
pretty hot box, but it would be fun if I could make it work.

Well, thanks for the advice.

--Ken

Quoting Greg.Froese at federated.ca:

> not sure if you got this solved yet, but I changed the ip in the main()
> function of main.cpp in the frontend and then recompiled.
> you also have to change the ip in mysql.txt
>
> hope that helps.
> gf
>

> Ken VanDine <ken at bizrace.com>
> Sent by: mythtv-dev-bounces at snowman.net
> 02/01/2003 02:06 AM
> Please respond to Development of mythtv
>

>         To:     mythtv-dev at snowman.net
>         cc:
>         Subject:        [mythtv] backend plus frontend
>

> Hello everyone,
>
> Has anyone successfully setup a frontend and backend on different hosts? I
> just
> tried it and it seg faults.  I did find a couple sourse files that
> referenced
> localhost and changed those to the IP of my backend box.  Any ideas will
> be nice.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ken VanDine