[mythtv] Almost installed, but not quite

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Tue Dec 2 18:23:24 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:13:38AM -0800, George & Kim Lopez wrote:
> OK, thanks for the "help".  So, next question
>  from the linux/mythtv newbie, what is this file,
> how do I unlock it, why would it not have been
> created during mythtv installation?

These questions have more to do with being a linux newbie than a mythtv
newbie.  Below I have provided some information that I hope is helpfull.  To
figure out what is going on, you might want to read up on directory
structures, permissions, users, and groups.

well, you need to make sure that the directory
/mnt/store/record
exists first.
Then you need to make sure the the user you are running mythfrontend as has
write permissions to that directory.

to see if the directory exists, you can do

ls /mnt/store/record

to see the permissions on that directory, you can
first, make sure of the user you are running mythfrontend.  Try "whoami"

ls -al /mnt/store/record

you are looking at the line that says something like

drwxr-xr-x  12 mcbeth  mcbeth     1024 Feb 19  2003 .

(it'll probably be the first or second line)
The important bit is the "." at the end.  That says that you are looking at
the line corresponding to the current directory.

What you are looking to see here is the "drwxr-xr-x" bit.
If the first name names listed match the results of "whoami", in my case
mcbeth, then you want to look at the first triplet after the "d".  In the
above example it says "rwx" this means that the owner has read, write, and
execute rights for that file ".".

The second triplet represents what users in the group can do.
The third triplet (in my case) "r-x" is what everybody else can do.
You can see that nobody but myself is allowed to write to the directory I
showed you above.

A couple words of advice.
1.  -dev lists tend to be for developers.  There is an assumption that the
people there are capable of dealing with the command line, compiling, and
doing other generally "difficult" tasks.  It probably would have been better
to post to the -user list.
2.  People are donating their time to do all this stuff.  I understand that
you received some snooty answers, but being snooty back isn't the best way
to win their love.  Frankly, Issac has earned the right to be snooty from
time to time.

I hope this helps some.
If I were to make a wild guess, you left the defaults in mythsetup and never
made sure the directories you were asking to write to existed.  That is of
course just a wild guess.
If you need more help, please write me specifically instead of bugging the
main developers.

Jeff