[mythtv] Re:Mini patch: DVB Pids

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Aug 27 02:13:08 EDT 2003

Come on Isaac, this is completely uncalled for. This guy has made a lot
of people very happy with the stuff he made and you can't fault him for
being beligerent because he feels all his work has been for naught.

The point lots of people are trying to make, and I'll now add my voice
to them, is that these tables are _not_ static, maybe _now_ there is no
code that is writing to the tables but it's extremely likely that in the
future there will be. And starting with static arrays and changing them
to database tables later on is just a waste of time. The fact that the
module itself does not write to the table should not be an obstacle
either because neither does the TV module write to the channels table.

Statically compiled tables for things that aren't 100% permanent are
just plain bad news, look at the frequency tables compiled into the ivtv
tools, which is the main reason why I need an external channel changing
script: the Dutch channels don't seem to adhere to any rules so I have
to make my own mapping. Exactly the kind of mappings that are obvious
candidates for inclusion in a database.

The fact that some of the information changes a lot more slowly than the
code in CVS shouldn't blind us from the fact that most of the
information in these tables should either [a] be dynamically
configurable (think setup programs or automatic updaters) or [b] just
available for general lookup because it will make the information so
much more accessible. (think MythWeb just needing one query and a simple
loop to show most of the information instead of having to look up all
kinds of values in static arrays for which it will have to contact the
backend).

-Tako