[mythtv] policy on using 'VERBOSE' in myth

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Aug 23 19:11:49 EDT 2003

I just noticed that mythbackend only tells me about expiring a program
when I use the verbose setting, but if I enable verbose mode, I get all
sort of other messages (for instance errors with A/V retreival during
recording).  To me these seem like vastly different levels of verbosity.
I think a lot more users are interested in when a program is schedulaed
for automatic removal than those who want to see 200 messages about
'audio behind' or 'ran out of free AUDIO buffers' which they can't do
anything about.  If there are no objections, I'll remove the 'VERBOSE
from the auto-expire messages and send a patch.  If people prefer that
mythbackend be silent, perhaps we should have two verbose levels, and
move all 'info' type messages into 'VERBOSE' and all debug type messgages
to 'VERBOSE2' or something (in which case I'll volunteer to create a
patch to do that).    There are lots of messages currently reported that
are of the same priority as the autoexpire messages (those about starting
transcode for instance), and I think myth should try to be consistant.

Comments?
.Geoff