[mythtv] transcoding with cutlist

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Mon Aug 18 14:59:16 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:41:03PM -0500, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> To make this generally useful,
> (c) there needs to be some
> script that will automate these steps for the user.
>
> (c) is really
> important, and something I have no interest in doing.  There are already
> two scripts I'm aware of (mythmkmovie and mythencode), and I've never
> used either.  Is anyone interested in doing this?

I've done some work with mythmkmovie, to support PVR-250's and cutlists.
That patch is with the author, awaiting approval.  I know Michael's
(mythmkmovie author) goal for mkmovie was just to provide a temporary fix
until something more permanent became available.  It has become a
nicely-featured package, good for the long haul, IMO.  Adapting it to a
working transcode solution sounds permanent to me :-)

Anyway, I'd be willing to work on this, but only have MPEG-2 cards, so I'd
have no way to test myth nuvs.

Just to summarize (please correct any errors here):

The recent work with mythtranscode (specifically, the fifo stuff) *should*
allow mythtranscode to handle cutlists, splitting the post-cutlist output
into separate video and audio streams.  We can then use any other tools to
transcode/remux these raw streams as required.  Right?

Sorry for the catch-up - I've been away on vacation for 10 days, and don't
want to make faulty starting assumptions...

My primary motivation is creating DVDs/SVCDs from cutlist-ed programs.  So
far, I have yet to make any set of VOB creation tools happy with the 250's
files or anything I have converted...  I just upgraded from CVS last night,
and hope to start playing with the new mythtranscode tonight.  Assuming I
find some success, I'd be happy to submit a wrapper script (probably based
on mythmkmovie).

Russ