[mythtv] cutlists and transcoding

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:46:22 EDT 2003

> Ughh...no wonder you're using so much memory.  This is the same as doing
> a 'cat audout > file', something I explicitily warned against doing.  I
> will give you a method to do this though.  Spent my free time this
> weekend trying (and failing) to get my PVR250 running on my 2.5.73 kernel
> (while keeping my bttv card working too), so I have to get my box back in
> wrking order first.  I'll work up a patch that will let the above use
> much less memory.

Okay, that was easier than expected.
Here is a patch which adds a switch '--fifosync' to the mythtranscode
command-line.  It should work in cases where the audio and video fifos
are read by different programs.  It should drastically reduce the memory
consumption issues you were seeing.  DO NOT use this swicth with programs
which read both audio and video (like mencoder), as it will cause
deadlocks.

Isaac, please apply. Chris please confirm that the memory usage issues
are gone.  I'll work on the A/V sync next.

.Geoff