[mythtv] Disable recording again

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Mon Aug 11 03:01:59 EDT 2003

Hi, Isaac - I had submitted a patch about a week ago to disable recordings.
Basically, I wanted to be able to unplug my Myth machine and take it along
with me when I go on vacation, and I didn't want it wasting cycles recording
if it wasn't hooked up to anything.

I was just wondering if you'd seen the patch, and had any opinion on it.
I did it as a checkbox in TV General Settings, and it basically acts exactly
the same way as if the storage filesystem was out of space when suppressing
recordings.  The only caveat is that once the setting is made, it doesn't
take effect until either Mythbackend is restarted, or a change is made to the
scheduled recordings (I didn't want to call GetNumSetting() on every time
through the scheduler loop).

My other thought was to implement it as a command-line option, but then you
pretty much need to have a keyboard or network connection to change the
setting, and it would be nice if you didn't need to take anything other than
the box.

One other possible change is to simply not even run the Scheduler if recording
is disabled.  That would definitely require a restart of the backend to change
the setting.

Anyways, is this something you're interested in including?  If so, would you
prefer a different approach?

Keep up the great work!

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan

It sure is Monday... Ain't it a sin
I've gotta work my way thru the week again.
	- Mark Chesnutt..."Sure Is Monday"