[mythtv] MythMkMovie

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 00:55:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 08:23:34PM -0700, Chris Palmer wrote:
> Michael J. Pedersen wrote
> I saw your previous notice about this, but I've seen
> nothing saying what mythmkmovie is and what it does.
> Can you explain what it is and its features?  :)

Wow, now I feel like an idiot. Big one, too. Would've sworn I mentioned
it somewhere. Ah well, not going to be perfect.

MythMkMovie acts as a glue between mythtv and mencoder, allowing you to
take recordings from mythtv, and create a divx out of them. The
immediate reaction, I'm sure, is that this is no big deal, and certainly
not worth announcing, except for the fact that it also honors cutlists
(ie: go and edit out commercials, and your final divx file will be
commercial free).

I've also taken care of a few weirdnesses I've found which came about
because of having mencoder deal with part of a mythtv file. Namely, the
fact that mencoder, when encoding even 0.1 seconds of a mythtv nuv file,
will spit out an extra 0.3 seconds of audio (approximately). Finding a
good way around that took a bit of work.

It also tries to be a nice, clean way of connecting the two programs
together, so that you can archive off shows you want to keep around.

In the end, instead of trying to determine the settings to pass to
mencoder, you tell mencoder a very few things (and you can set them up
as defaults very shortly with the next version, in case you don't like
my choices): video bitrate, audio bitrate, keyframe interval, input
file, and output file. The rest is automatic.

It's smart enough to connect to mysql (indeed, it requires this
ability) to pull info from the mythtv tables, allowing it to show you
information that is correct, rather than you having to specify it on the
command line.

I've got a feeling I'm babbling right now, so I'm going to sign off. I
know this is something I've written because I found it useful. I'm just
hoping that other people find it useful too.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net