[mythtv] gist.com support status?

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 22 11:43:35 EDT 2003

>>>>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0400, Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> said:

i> On Tuesday 22 April 2003 04:20 am, John Hurliman wrote:
>> How is the support for gist.com coming along? Anything I can help with
>> or is it just about there?

i> I've been using it since I added support for it, seems to be working fine..
i> It's currently dumping some of the additional data into the database, but
i> there's nothing using that data in mythtv (yet).

        Just a few comments in case other people want to try it:

- I find that "curl" (instead of "wget) works for grabbing the gzipped
listings:

        command.sprintf("curl --silent --header \"Accept-Encoding: gzip\" "
                        "http://www.gist.com/tv/xmltv/?userid=%s\\&date=%s"
                        "\\&tz_offset=%s | gzip -dc > %s",
                        source.userid.ascii(),
                        day.ascii(), reqtz.ascii(), filename.ascii());

- Programs which span midnight show up in the Gist listings for the
two days so there are (harmless) error messages when inserting these
programs into the database.

- The Gist listings don't have channel icons so I just add my old
zap2it icons back into the database after running mythfilldatabase.

Other than that, it works really well -- about 20 times faster than
tv_grab_na when grabbing program info for 70 channels.  The rates are
reasonable, too ($3.95/3 months) if they ever decide to stop free
XMLTV downloads.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj at pacbell.net