[mythtv] Musings On Standard File Formats

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Apr 20 08:59:06 EDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 08:45:30 +0200, "Ben Bucksch
linux.news-at-bucksch.org |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
<6lo2hd4amt0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> My personal opinion, although it's not worth much, because I am not the
> one coding - it's your project:
> I am keen on the highest possible quality and told myself that I won't
> let myself locked into any program anymore, so proprietary codecs are
> no-no for archiving. However, the MPEG4 (software) and MPEG2 (hardware)
> codecs used by MythTV are standard (aren't they?), and the only
> proprietary part is the NuppelVideo container, and it's possible to
> transcode the container without data loss / degration of quality, right?
> I don't mind much having to run a transcoding tool, when I want to
> export videos, as long as there is no quality/data loss.

With additional work to my transcoder patch, you could losslessly convert
 mythtv .nuv to a divx (or posisbly xvid) container (assuming you have
the data in mpeg4 format).  Obviously that would mean mythtv can't play
the stream anymore, and you need to live with the other limitations of
the format, but purely for archival, it may be acceptable.  Of course
Isaac has said that he won't take a patch which makes mythtv export a
format it can't play, but taht is a different issue.

.Geoff