[mythtv] Subject for my last message: PVR 250 Audio

Edward Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Sun Apr 20 00:50:33 EDT 2003

>    dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1K count=1M
>
> gives a sustained data rate of about 7MB/sec, well above the 2MB/sec
> data rate coming out of the card.  Either mythtv is doing something
> silly when writing to disk, or there's some other I/O issue on my
> machine (sound card?) and it's time to start swapping out hardware to
> figure out where.

Hmm, I don't know how to read that benchmark, but 7MB/s is very slow for
sequential access to a modern hard disk.  Between 20-40MB/s depending on
which section of the disk you are writing to is more realistic.

However, this is for sequential access, real transfer rates are lower, and
that number above may be correct...?

Try a "hdparm -tT" speed test and see what that says, it should be much
higher than 7MB/s