[mythtv] Subject for my last message: PVR 250 Audio

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Sat Apr 19 14:14:55 EDT 2003

> After unloading all the drivers and then re-loading them, my audio has
> returned!  (I know this sounds strange).  Audio just goes away after a few
> minutes, then returns after a driver rmmod, insmod.

Interesting.  I will play with that.

> My CPU usage is very similar to yours but I don't see any improvement at
> lower resolutions.  Will play with it over the weekend as well.

My CPU usage hangs around 50%, but my load average is around 1.5,
which could suggest a process is blocking on I/O and that I'm actually
being limited by the hard drive.  I don't understand that at all.  I'm
running a UDMA66 drive and everything's enabled; I even tried enabling
the wcache but saw no improvement.  A

   dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1K count=1M

gives a sustained data rate of about 7MB/sec, well above the 2MB/sec
data rate coming out of the card.  Either mythtv is doing something
silly when writing to disk, or there's some other I/O issue on my
machine (sound card?) and it's time to start swapping out hardware to
figure out where.

-jim