[mythtv] Musings On Standard File Formats

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 21:10:18 EDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:52:19AM +0100, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> Sorry, good question, but I think it has been done to death.  I don't
see
> Isaac (the main developer) keen to change this, so the question is
probably
> somewhat moot anyway...?

Very possibly, very true. That doesn't mean it's not worth asking.

> There is a transcoding script in development at the moment.  Take a
look at
> that and see if it won't help.

I know. I'm one of two people attacking the problem. The other person is
working on a transcoding patch, which might be of some service for what
I'm attempting to do. Or it might not.

I'm trying to take recordings OUT of mythtv, so that I can archive them
off for later watching. The transcoding patch seems to be focusing on
moving the files to a different format, but keeping them inside of
mythtv. This may or may not be useful, I just don't know. And, Geoffrey,
Hausheer, if I'm misunderstanding the purpose of your patch, please do
correct me.

> There are obviously reasons why the original nuppel video format was
tweaked
> slightly (rather than staying compatible).  Certainly it does appear
> allow multiple types of encoding in a single file though (rtjpeg,
mpeg4 and
> now mpeg2), I don't think that other file formats would easily allow
this?

Actually, the AVI format does just this. Different codecs, one file
format. nuv may or may not do the same by default, I don't know.  The
question is STILL worth visiting, since it would allow people the
ability to use other tools on MythTV files, without forcing them to pray
that it will work all the time for them.

Now, I freely admit, there may be technical considerations of which I'm
not aware. That doesn't mean it should be an ignored question. However,
if there are such reasons, maybe they should be posted in a FAQ, so as
to shut people like me up?

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: