[mythtv] random lockups

Mike Schrag mschrag at pobox.com
Fri Apr 18 10:35:46 EDT 2003

On the random lockup front, I have a little more information -- I really
don't know if this is mythtv offtopic or not, since this may be related
to something mythtv does WITH ivtv.  If it does appear to be off topic
from the info I have, just yell at me and I'm stumble away.

AMD Athlon 1Ghz
512M RAM
nVideo GForce2
SB Live
WinTV PVR250
random ethernet card
brand new RH9 install

1) cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg = no lockups at all... this leads me to
believe that the basic ivtv driver features are working well
2) xine file.mpg = no lockups at all ... this leads me to believe that
it's not something weird with my video card on playback
3) mythtv live video = lockups happen pretty fast (usually within a
minute or two).  this is a full system lockup, so I know mythtv can't
directly cause this problem.  Is there something else I can test here
(perhaps a smaller testcase) to isolate this problem to a particular device?

The other potential failure point here is ALSA.  Is there a good way to
test ALSA all on its own?

ms