[mythtv] System-wakeup

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Wed Apr 16 19:16:56 EDT 2003

Christian Hoenig wrote
> > > You then first try to contact them, and if that fails, you try to
> > > wake them up.
> >
> > I don't think you have that kind of control.  When you attempt
> > to make contact, WoL (if enabled) would cause the target machine
> > to wake because of the incoming packets.  Either you send a packet
> > to that host or you don't.
>
> I'm not quite sure, if I missunderstand you, or you missunderstand WOL.
> If you enable wol on a network adapter, it only wakes up, if you send the
> 'magic' paket to this adapter. It does not wake up, if you send any paket to
> that device!

maybe I misunderstand WOL, then.  I was under the impression that
it would automatically wake the host if it saw a packet that was
addressed to its mac address.

> > Another issue that may need to be looked at is that the frontend
> > doesn't currently attempt to re-establish a connection to the
> > backend, after communication is lost, which is annoying in
> > general, but could make it impossible to implement this idea.
>
> I don't see the issue with that thing? :-)
> What do you think is the problem?

I don't know if there has been work on it this week (still catching
up on the forums), but if the frontend and backend stopped responding
to each other (different hosts, or same), then the frontend never
re-establishes its connection with the backend.  The only way to
make things work again is to restart the frontend.

So... it all depends on your shutdown/sleep/bootup/wakeup flow
on how this will work.  If you're doing all this wakeup stuff
while attempting your initial "connect" from the frontend to
the backend, then you will not run into this problem.  If the
backend sleeps on you when your frontend is still up (but idle)
then "re-connection" needs to be negotiated.

Maybe I should drop out of this thread, since I don't know
what the runtime flow looks like for your implementation of
suspend/wakeup, and I'm just confusing myself... :)

heh...  if you get it working, and it applies to my setup,
I'll be glad to test it... ;)

-Chris