[mythtv] Recording Profiles

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Wed Apr 16 18:40:57 EDT 2003

Cedar McKay wrote
> >>If you want it to not use the LiveTV profile, don't tell it you'll watch along
> >>with the recording.  Exit out of watching live tv and start watching from the
> >>playback screen once the recording has started.
> >>

> >that seems counter-intuitive to me.  why would you ever want
> >to record a show to disk using the LiveTV profile?  If you
> >wanted to do so, why wouldn't you create a recording profile
> >with those options?
> >

> I can think of one reason.
> Perhaps the user's machine isn't grunty enough to record to disk and
> watch simultaneously using the "Default" profile. Since watching live tv
> is more demanding than just recording without watching some people may
> have profiles that reflect that fact. If it was done as you suggest,
> people with ?Default? profiles too demanding for their systems to play
> at the same time would not ever be able to watch an in progress recording.

It would seem to me that this is an error on the person defining
their "Default" profile.  If you configure your settings to try to
do something beyond the capability of your system, then you will
always be disappointed with the results (like those guys that adjust
their mpeg4 min/max settings).  ;)

It seems to me that someone who cannot record and playback at the
same time needs some additional features to allow them to run what
they can "safely".

What happens when someone with these "unrealistically high" settings
is watching one show, then another starts to record?  Should the show
that is being recorded switch to a lower quality, just to keep up, or
do you get kicked out of watching the other show?

I suppose the current behavior handles one situation where you watch
and record at the same time, but it's not going to solve all cases
where someone's setup doesn't meet minimum requirements for the task
they're trying to perform.

just thoughts...

-Chris