[mythtv] Recording Profiles

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 14:55:13 EDT 2003

Actually, I have the opposite problem...

I was watching LiveTV, which is set up for RTJPEG 480x480 at 255, as it's less
CPU-intensive, but gives larger files.  Just before a scheduled recording
was about to begin (on the same channel I was watching), the dialog popped
up asking me what I wanted to do.  I chose 'Record & Watch while it
records'.  In a few seconds, I detected a little stuttering (presumable as
it changed from the ringbuffer to a file, whatever).  My 'Default' profile
is set for MPEG-4, 480x480 at 2200 (scaled bitrate) However, after the program
was done, I went to delete it, and noticed that the file size was in line
with an RTJPEG file rather than an MPEG-4.  (The file was about double the
size of most MPEG-4 recordings of the same length, but about the same size
as an equivalent RTJPEG recording).

So, when switching from LiveTV -> WatchingRecording, maybe it's not
switching profiles?

In your case however, I would think it would be impossible to switch
profiles after a recording has started, without losing part of the file...
you can't have the backend switch the encoding codec/paramaters in the
middle of an in-progress recording (I wouldn't think).  Think about it...
you have a file whose header says "MPEG-4 480x480 at 3300".  Then in the middle
of the file, the data is suddenly in "MPEG-4 320x240 at 2200", or worse yet,
"RTJPEG 480x480".  Your player would probably die.  Not to mention the
backend problems of building a seek table, cutlist... you get the gist.

Of course, I really don't know anything about encoding/decoding processing,
so don't take my word for it.  Would anyone care to confirm/deny this?

-Joe C.