[mythtv] Volume resetting

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sun Apr 13 17:01:59 EDT 2003

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 11:59  AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I'd rather that it remembered what volume I had changed to and save
> that
> to the database instead of resetting each time.  I asked before on the
> list about this but don't remember getting much of a response.  My TV
> remembers what volume I had it set at when I turned it off, so does my
> stereo.  Why shouldn't Myth?

Because ALSA already does that. 'alsactl store' on shutdown, 'alsactl
restore' on startup. Myth doesn't need any special support for saving
the volume, it just needs to not reset it to default values.

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 01:06  PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> James Knight wrote:
>> It has been greatly irritating that mythtv resets the volume every
>> time you start watching TV.
> What about the pref in Setup/Playback, second screen, "Use internal
> volume controls" (uncheck that)?

But I still like to be able to *control* the volume...I just don't like
that it resets it to a default value every time you start watching
something.

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 01:16  PM, Joel Feenstra wrote:
> What i would do is setup lirc to send X a specific keystroke, then use
> a program I found called keylaunch which will run any command you set
> it up to do based on a specific keystroke like ctl-alt-shift-u for
> volume up, and ctl-alt-shift-d for volume down. Then keylaunch would
> just run
> amixer with some incrimental volume commands to control the volume on
> any channel you want.

It sounds like a great project to do something like this *with a GUI*.
Make a little app that acts like the myth volume changing (pop up a
display over the screen for some amount of time showing the volume),
but will work externally of mythtv. That way, volume control will
*always* work, even when you're doing other stuff, like playing DOOM
with mythgame, or whatever. However, that's not something that I feel
qualified to do. :)

I like the way MacOS X does this, but afaik X11 doesn't support
translucent windows, so it couldn't be as pretty.

James