[mythtv] Channel changing Bugs...

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Apr 12 22:26:11 EDT 2003

> Van: Chris Palmer <mythtv at zencow.com>
>> Andrew M. Bishop wrote
>>> Chris Palmer <mythtv at zencow.com> writes:
>
> Are you saying that TV's in europe essentially use programmable
> slots for stations?  Does that mean your "channel 5" could be
> different than your neighbor's "channel 5" even on the same
> cable system?  Am I understanding that?

Yes.

>> Forcing all MythTV users to use channum is counter-intuitive
>> to you... ;-)
>> and a backward step to what MythTV was like in September before
>> Isaac added the chanid to the database.
>
> ok, I can see that this fundamental difference in systems
> (or more accurately, the lack of understanding in differences)
> is making things awkward to design.

There are no real differences, you just need to map numbers to frequencies.
btw, this system is also used by the local cable to put the channels closer
to each other. channels take up slightly more than one 'whole freqency', so
in America they'll need to put and 'empty' freqency in between (AFAIK). In
Europe they use (video-)frequencies like 62+, being 1/4 freq. above 62.
Which increases the density quite a bit.

I understand this can seem akward to you. To us it seems like the American
system is wierd. I think if I emigrated to America I would see it as not
having a choice... Guess I would buy a PAL/NTSC "dual" TV here and send it
over ;-)

> If I am understanding the slots concept correctly, then I have
> some ideas on how to clean this up nicely for everyone (if there
> is, in fact, anything to do).  But I'll save that idea until I'm
> sure I'm understanding the european tv channel numbering (naming?)
> system.
>
> Do you have HBO or Showtime there?  I don't personally get those,
> but they might be a good common-ground for explaining the
> relationship between channel numbers, stations (call letters),
> and chanid's in your part of the world.  :)

HBO? Showtime? No..

They don't broadcast in The Netherlands, is it a (single) channel anyways?
I heard about it sometimes on Slashdot. I'm not sure, can you explain?
Digital TV?

btw, don't forget the 'more channels per freqency' problem (two, most of
the time), please. I forgot to mention it in my previous mail. It used
sometimes. For example here in Holland, "KinderNet" (..ChildrenNet..)
broadcast only from 6am-12pm, so afternoon and in the evening "Net5" is put
though on this frequency.

And no, "Net5" is not programmed at #5 ;-)

	Henk Poley <><