[mythtv] System-wakeup

Dr. J. S. Pezaris pz at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 10 00:38:01 EDT 2003

    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:52:17 +1000
    From: myth at fusion.fastmail.fm
    To: "Development of mythtv" <mythtv-dev at snowman.net>

    I sent a suggestion to the list a while ago about writing a program to
    do shutdown and wakeup (buried at the bottom of another post). I
    suggested using the nvram-wakeup code, which modifies the BIOS NVRAM to
    set a wakeup time. And since Myth uses a MySQL database, it should be
    easy to decide when the machine needs to sleep and wake depending on
    scheduled recording times in the database.

An excellent idea.  It should also worry about scheduling the listings poll
since that needs to be done, ideally, when recording isn't happening (and,
ideally, 10000 MythTV systems shouldn't poll for this information all at
the same time).  My understanding (which is limited to release 0.8) is that
pulling the next day's schedule is nominally left to the system via a cron
job.  For that matter, it might not be bad to schedule wakeup events in
concert with the cron items.

Cheers,

	- pz.

--