[mythtv] Conversion in the background, can it reduce system

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Apr 9 16:21:24 EDT 2003

I have an add-on program in my source tree call mythcommflag.  Basically
it gives the option of scanning for commercials in shows offline rather
than doing it immediately after the record.  I could envision a 'workhorse'
machine(s) that does nothing but things like reencoding video and doing
intelligent commercial flagging, etc..  cpu-intensive tasks that aren't
time-sensitive (ie, non-realtime required).   The same main commercial
flagging function is used by mythbackend for post-recording commercial
processing and by mythcommflag for offline processing.  The reencoding
function(s) could be setup similar.

> I've been working on this (and in fact have it working on my system,
> though it is still pretty crude), and can answer as follows:
> This is basically just a tradeoff between hard-drive and cpu.

Chris