[mythtv] manual recording (much better)

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Fri Apr 4 18:29:21 EST 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote
> > > What I would think would work well, is when watching mythtv you just
> > > press R and the manual recording screen would open similar to the way
> > > the alt epg works.
> >
> > Right now, R in the EPG is a shortcut for single record and
> > my fingers think that should be true in LiveTV also.
>
> It might be possible to overload the "r" key.  For example press "R"
> once for single record based on time, then keep tapping "r" to toggle
> through manual record (30mins, 60 mins, 90 mins, etc).
>
> My video recorder working in a similar way to this with an instant
> record button so that you don't need to do a full setup with dates
> and times.

that doesn't sound too bad to me.  I haven't seen any of the Manual
Recording stuff, yet, since I haven't updated from CVS in a couple
weeks (happy recording and not crashing at the moment... heh).

Does the Manual Recording allow "scheduling" of manual recording?
In other words, is manual recording only a "now" kind of thing, or
can you just choose to record at a time and channel (and/or input)
for some user specified duration?

For that matter, my (VERY OLD!) VCR has 2 buttons for the "one-touch"
recording.  One lets you choose the start-time in 30 minute increments
from the next 30-minute boundary (not exactly applicable to everyone's
needs) and is selectable for some time in the next 12 hours.  The
other button sets duration (default 30 mins) from 0 mins to 4 hours
and wraps to the bottom from the top.  If you leave it at 0 for
more than some duration, then the recording stops (if in progress).

I don't know if this is a desirable way to do this.  I can imagine
that there are multiple ways to implement "manual recordings" or
"one-touch scheduling" concepts.

-Chris