[mythtv] SMP and harware Recommendations

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:36:20 -0400

On Thursday 19 September 2002 03:19 pm, mythtv@mcgerald.homelinux.com wrote:
> My questions are
>
> 1.  Will MythTV take advantage of the Dual processors?

It should, things are fairly heavily threaded -- 3 threads each for both
playback and recording.  Of course, most of the really heavy computational
stuff takes place in 1 thread each on record and playback, but having a
dualie should still help.

Memory contention/cache issues may impact performance, but I wouldn't think
it'd be all that bad.  Depends on how the kernel schedules things, how much
it bounces around between CPUs, etc.

> 2.  Since the AIW card isn't going to be nice would a GF4MX and an ATI
> TV-wonder be a good pair (I'm trying to stay near $100 to replace the AIW
> and tigerdirect.com has both) or would I really be better off with the
> GF4MX and a Hauppauge card?

Yeah, the gf4mx and an ati tv wonder should work.

Isaac