[mythtv] Live TV and channel change protection

Justin Hawkins mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:58:41 +1030 (CST)

One thing I haven't run into yet, but I envisage I might, is that if you
change the channel by accident while 'behind' in your live tv viewing, you
will lose a chunk of the show you are watching.

I can see this happening quite easily if you are surfing around, find
something to watch and settle down to it.

I can see a couple of solutions. One, the user could make a conscious
decision to 'lock' the channel they are currently watching. Two birds
could be killed with one stone; if instead of a specific lock, have the
ability to start recording whatever you are currently watching. That'd
lock the channel, and give you the ability to press ESC, and watch the
rest later.

The other solution I thought of, which may not be workable, is to have a
seperate ringbuffer for each channel. Then once you've realized you made a
mistake, you can just switch back - loosing only a few seconds of the live
tv.

	- Justin

--
justin@hawkins.id.au  |    "Don't sweat it --