[mythtv] Good Inexpensive capture card?

Benjamin Binford mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:29:08 -0400

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:15:51PM -0700, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
> Damn!  Well, at least I didn't spend too much time on it!  American
> companies piss me off.  Why can't they settle on a standard?  Two reasons:
>  ego and money.  Grrrr.
>
> Thanks for all your help, thought.

I'm pretty sure that channels under 100 even for digital cable are broadcast analog. There's a really easy way to test this assuming you have a cable ready tv- hook up your tv directly to the cable connection out of the wall bypassing your digital cable box. Any channels that you can see on your tv you'll be able to see on mythtv. You'll definitely be able to see nbc, abc, cbs etc...

There are also hooks built into the mythtv for changing the channel using an external program. I don't believe anyone's actually implemented it yet, but if you have the hardware (check out lirc.org for more info) it looks pretty easy to do if you're at all comfortable hacking c.