[mythtv] running setup, could not open /dev/video

John Tapper mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:10:08 -0400

how do I find the proper device name for the tv tuner card?
can xawtv tell me this?

Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
Sent by: mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net
10/15/2002 07:53 PM

To: mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Subject: Re: [mythtv] running setup, could not open /dev/video

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 08:16 pm, John Tapper wrote:
> not sure what I am missing here, but when I run setup, I go through all
> the channel selection and then I get the following:
>
> configuration step complete, let the games begin !
> ---------------- End of XMLTV output ----------------
>
> Now, let's connect channel sources to inputs on the capture cards.
>
> Couldn't open /dev/video to probe its inputs.
>
> Now, please run mythfilldatabase to populate the database with info.
>
> I thought I figured this out when I installed 0.5, but now I'm not sure
> what to do.
>
> xawtv works fine
> using hauppauge wintv
>
> i will hopefully be upgrading my bttv driver to the 0.8 series shortly,
> is that part of the problem?

No.  Looks like you either a) told it the wrong device name to use for the
tuner card, or b) don't have permissions right on the device.

Isaac