[mythtv] how fast a HD is fast enough?

David Watson mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:20:12 -0400

> Am I over-designing this?  What do the rest of you use for HDs in your
> MythBoxen?  Are they fast?  Quiet?  Reasonably priced?  :-)

I have two Barracuda IV 80 GB disks in my box.  I did have some
problems with simultaneous recording and watching, but that was
apparently caused by a bug in the code.  Everything works
wonderfully now.

As for the noise, they are incredibly quiet.  I generally have to
look at the drive light to tell if it's recording, although if
things are quiet I can hear a slight noise every several seconds.
During more strenuous tasks such as updating the locate database
it's definitely noticeable, but doesn't disturb a conversation or
watching tv.

David