[mythtv] V4L requirement ?

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:08:55 -0400

On Monday 14 October 2002 09:31 pm, henrik.jonson@flextronics.com wrote:
> I get this error on mythtv v0.6 startup, with xawtv running:
> > mythtv
>
>  Probe:
>  channel set: Invalid argument
>  Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
>  VIDOCGMBUF:: Invalid argument
>  VIDIOCSAUDIO: Invalid argument
>
> I saw your answer to John Tapper who has a similar problem -- "get V4L
> support"
>
> I'm using AIW Rage Pro 128 with the Gatos km_api/km_drv modules which
> supplies V4l support.
>
> AVview and xawtv work fine for me.
> In fact, AVview sees a V4L device (/dev/video0 Km) and allows AVI
> recording. What's mythtv's need in V4L that's different than AVview ?
> (Or what else am I doing wrong?)
> I've run setup and filled the DB without error.

See this post by Matt Zimmerman:

http://www.snowman.net/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2002-October/000588.html

Essentially, if someone wants to write software colorspace converions and
scaling routines, that would get around those limitations.  Additionally,
someone would have to add support for the read interface to V4L capturing, as
mythtv currently only supports the mmap interface, and the gatos driver
people don't want to support it.

Isaac