[mythtv] Creative Video Blaster

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:17:59 -0500

> Has anyone found a Linux driver for Creative Lab's Video Blaster Digital
> VCR?  This board has an hardware MPEG encoder and CompUSA has them on sale
> for $49.99 for Today only (Saturday November 30).  If a Linux driver
> exists this would be a great way to get hardware encoder.
> http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?maincategory
> =5&category=201&product=222
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290666

For the record, it appears the card is currently not supported in Linux, and
someone is looking for help in developing a driver for it. (See:
http://www.760mp.com/videoblaster/)

Doing an initial scan on the actual MPEG2 codec chip the card uses, it
appears there is no easily obtainable material to get the device up and
running.  (Unlike the Zoran chipsets, which have documents all over the
place...)

IMHO, if anyone's going to get a card up and running under Linux, I think
the first we'll see is the WinTV PVR by Hauppauge.  There are a lot of
devices in the wild, and I hear the product is selling very well.  I think
Hauppauge might be more likely to help out with such a venture, too.  Just
my 0.02 CDN (not worth very much to the lot of you... ;)).

Cheers,
Chris