[mythtv] more newbie impressions

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:53:53 -0500

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:56:14PM -0700, Ray wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 08:29:54PM -0800, Larry Matter wrote:
> >
> > Diskless operation isn't a necessity, but it would be quietier, cheaper
> > and just make the project more interesting.
>
> I've done both diskless and wireless setups but I'm not sure how you could
> combine the two.  AFAIK wireless cards normally require all of the pcmcia
> stuff to be running before they can be brought up.  FWIW I'm planning to
> have a diskless Myth box in my living room next week assuming capturing
> over NFS proves up to the task.

You would need a boot loader with the necessary driver support to bring up
the wireless card.  I do not know if any of the current loaders are capable
of this, but I don't know of any fundamental reason why it would not be
possible.

FWIW, my current MythTV system is diskless using NFS for both root and
capture, over 100mbit half-duplex ethernet with plenty of growing room.

--
 - mdz