[mythtv] Record on den machine; play on other machines.

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:53:45 -0800

Henk Poley wrote:
>>Van: Bruce Markey <bjm@lvcm.com>
>>Isaac Richards wrote:
>>
>>Since you support two tuners on one machine, it shouldn't
>>be too hard to support tuners on multiple systems. Conflict
>>resolution doesn't seem to be any more complex since it's
>>just a matter of choosing the two or three preferred shows
>>rather than just one (given enough tuners, there would never
>>be any conflicts to resolve ;-).
>

> Now only to find a mobo with 40 PCI slots, and HD/RAID that supports the
> bandwith of raw encoding. Or did you think about compressed encoding? Poor
> CPU...

Currently, I'm most interested in just one tuner per machine
so the performance needs would be similar to a standalone
mythtv system with a single tuner. The feature request is to
have the scheduler assign recordings to tuners on other
systems (donno yet if this is included in whatever Isaac has
been working on this week ;-).

I think putting several 'dumb' capture cards in one system is
not only a problem for CPU and disk IO but also the PCI bus.
However, if we ever get Linux drivers for cards with on-board
MPEG compression, I can envision having a headless server
with up to four tuners and up to four big disks.

--  bjm