[mythtv] Question about TV out.

Tony Pace mythtv-dev@snowman.net
29 Nov 2002 13:42:09 -0800

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 13:08, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
> > Awsome project! I noticed you only started 6 months ago so I almost
> > didn't bother trying it out. I'm glad I did, great job so far.  This is
> > the neatest thing since sliced bread.
> >
> Makes me wonder why it took so long for early people to figure out that
> you could actually SLICE bread...but then again, I've always had sliced
> bread.
>
> > A little note on RH 8.0, to get XMLTV to compile and work I had to set
> > my LANG.(export LANG='en_US'). That set me back a couple hours (getting
> > the TV listings working anyway).
> >
> There's some great documentation being culled together.  Check it out here:
>     http://www.mythtv.org/docs/
>
> The whole RedHat "export LANG" thing is discussed in step 9:
>     http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html

Doh! That should be moved to section 5.3 Building XMLTV.  It will not
build without setting LANG.  I should have read *all* the docs, would
have saved me some time.

> > My question, I have a Nvidia GeForce2 with svideo out. It works
> > perfectly @ 640x480 but @ 800x600, the screen has black lines on the
> > sides.  I found a cool utility NVTV that let's me correct the problem
> > and the menu's of MythTV look perfect but when watching TV
> >
> Supposedly, there is a setting in the newest CVS version of MythTV that
> helps "overscan" your monitor.  I believe it's in 'settings.txt' but I
> haven't had a chance to dig into the latest CVS to check it out.

Sorry, my bad, I should have stated on the TV it does this, not on the
PC.  The frontend looks purdy on TV, but when you start watching live TV
the picture is jittery.

> > however, the
> > picture is all *jittery*
> >
> I had this problem when my hard drive didn't have DMA enabled.  Run hdparm
> to check (ie: hdparm /dev/hda).  If it isn't enabled, you can enable it
> with: hdparm -d1

The hd light hardly ever goes on, everything is fine on the PC.  It
looks like MythTV switches video modes when playing live TV or
something.

Thanks,

Tony

--