[mythtv] more newbie impressions

Larry Matter mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:42:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone.

Last night I got MythTV working and used it to record my favorite show.
Everything worked great!  Good job!

I started looking into PVRs a while ago in conjunction with a project I
have been wanting to work on.  I have seen other people on this list talk
about it as well.  Basically, a media server in a garage/basement/office,
and a set top box (or boxen) on the TV/stereo/whatever.

Like adding gas to a flame, my interest really piqued when I saw this
little gadget:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81

It's a mini itx motherboard with TV out and an mpeg 2 decoder (among other
cool things like an LCD interface).

Ultimately I would like this device to be diskless, and accessing my
"media server" over 802.11b.

I know I have a long way to go on this (I don't think Linux supports the
TV out on this board, for example) but I think this would be a really cool
setup.

I also tried Freevo yesterday.  It seems pretty cool as well, except it
doesn't record yet (doh!).  But it *did* support displaying on a dxr3
device, which I happen to have.  It had problems actually playing the TV
capture to the dxr3 device, but I think with some tweaking I could get
that working.  Has anyone looked into supporting displaying to a dxr3
device (http://dxr3.sf.net)?

Thanks!
Larry Matter