[mythtv] DVD Functionality (was: Clarification)

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:25:56 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:27:27PM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>
>> Damn!  I was hoping that DVD functionality was gonna get in there! :(
>> I was hoping to get rid of my old DVD player...and being able to "live
>> record" DVDs would be great ;)
>
> What would be the benefit in "live recording" a DVD?  It's already
> recorded.

I'm a big fan of moving digital data around ;)  But you could capture the
DVD at a lower quality (akin to how people rip CD audio to MP3) and even
burn SVCD/VCDs.  Or you could capture a funny part of a movie and send it
to someone.

But remember, this is a "convergence box".  Isn't DVD just a popular as
the other components?  I personally think that a convergence box would be
able to (1) watch/record TV, (2) play music, (3) play movies, and (4) play
video games.  Those seem to be the most popular "entertainment center"
components anyway.

And it would be GREAT to side-step that crappy Macrovision protection.
It's used to fight piracy, but it hurts EVERYONE.  Let's say I have only
one IN on my TV, but I have cable, a playstation2, a VCR, and a DVD
player.  I can run everything thru the VCR (yeah, quality is compromised,
but...).  Well, everything EXCEPT the DVD player because of the stupid
Macrovision.  Grrrr.  I'd love to get away from the "consumer DVD player
model" and integrate it all into, well, one "convergence box" :)

Jeremy