[mythtv] Badly encoded rtjpeg stream

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:08:30 -0500

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:21:09PM -0500, Robert Dege wrote:

> > mythtv has a configure script; it just doesn't do very much.
>
> The configure script is primarily for libavcodec, not MythTV.  In fact,
> it's the ffmpeg configure script.

Yep.

> I'm thinking something more dedicated to MythTV.

What would it do?  Just check whether the appropriate libraries are
installed, and substitute in compiler flags?  Shouldn't be too hard, but
stay away from autoconf if you want it to end up in mythtv.

> > In some situations, maybe, theoretically.  Will it give you the latest
> > bugs?  Absolutely, certainly.  Then, they will post to this mailing list
> > asking for others to diagnose their problem. :-/
>
> True, but current releases aren't exactly bug free either.  But if you are
> trying to compile binaries optimized for newer chips, then one would be
> encouraged to use newer releases (gcc 3.2 vs 2.95).

The 2.95 stuff is, if not bug-free, at least mature.  What bugs it has are
relatively well-known.  I have nothing against working with gcc 3.2, and
trying out the new CPU optimizations which are not available in 2.95, but I
don't see any significant obstacle to users doing that today.

--
 - mdz