[mythtv] Hardware advice (Via Eden Board) / Video Card.

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:40:11 -0800

On 25 Nov 2002 at 14:59, Ray wrote:

> You might want to check the archives since this (and some other options for a
> small dedicated machine have been discussed a bit very recently.  IMHO the
> Eden will not be fast enough.

Even if it was 3x the speed it still wouldn't be fast enough as it's fpu
capabilites are much lower than needed for (de)compression. That unit is
based on IIRC a combination of the former cyrix cpu's and the c6 cpu's,
neither of which is known for it's fpu capabilty.

The only way I could suggest one of these units is if you had a hardware
encoding tv card. There is _some_ support for hardware mjpeg in cvs.....

> An Athlon doesn't have to be noisy but you could also look for a P3-Tutilane
Yes it does, even the quietest fans are still quite noisy.  You'd probably
need to look at some other solution like a pelltier or a liquid cooling unit,
either that, or one REALLY BIG ASS heatsink....  Doubt you could find a case
to fit that into though ;-)

> (sp) or P4 based solution as well.  A high end P3 would be easier to make
> really quiet than an Athlon or P4 and still be much faster than a VIA
> solution.
Agreed.

--
Harondel J. Sibble