[mythtv] New user

Wes Biggs mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:28:20 -0800

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> This is the board I am using for my mythtv system; it was cheap and works OK
> for my purposes.

Not a glowing review, and now I see the notes about sound support.  With
a high quality sound card, would it be worthwhile?

General question-- are there any minimum requirements for a video card
(other than, in my case, that it has TV out)?  I have an old card
(Real3D Starfighter PCI - Intel 740 chipset;
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/starfighter/faq.htm) with 16MB
which I'm thinking will work.  This card also has TV in (composite), but
I can't find any reference to V4L support for it, so I'm counting on
buying a separate tuner card with a coax/s-video in.  Any issues with
non-AGP video?

Thanks for the help with my newbie questions.  When I'm up and running
I'd like to contribute to the software side of things, but hardware has
never been my strength -- I seem to end up physically bleeding each time
I put a new box together (not that it stops me...)

Wes