[mythtv] New user

Monty Walls mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:38:55 -0600

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:44:16 -0500
"Oatz" <oatz@rogers.com> wrote:

> Monty wrote:
> > A couple of tuning tricks to consider:
> >
> > on video filesystem, add noatime to mount options.
> > on ext3 based video filesystem add data=writeback to mount options.
> >
> > Also replace v4l with v4l2.
> >
> > --
> > -Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
> > - MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission
> > -
>

> Monty,
>
>     Im using a 2.4.18 kernel, am I already using vfl2 wihtout knowing it?
>     What are the advantages of vfl2?

No 2.4 still uses v4l not v4l2.  2.5 should have v4l2 (last I heard).

v4l2 supports deeper buffers for bttv and allow buffered capturing, so
applications like mp1e don't drop buffers as much.  Application has to
handle having more than 2 buffers though (old bttv default).

v4l2 also seems to have a lower latency.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission
-
- My opinions are my own, my employer knows nothing about it.