[mythtv] New user

Jonathan Wirch mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:13:48 -0500

Gotcha, software encoding is definitely different from hardware
encoding. At least a Athlon XP 1900 is only around $72 right now. For
now I have a spare 1ghz tbird sitting around.

Now when you refer to 2 full size encodings, do you mean recording one
channel in background and watching live tv in another? Or do you mean
recording 2 channels and doing nothing on the tv? Or perhaps another
option?

Any plans to create a self contained distribution CD, almost like some
of gentoo's live cd for unreal tourn 2k3?

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net [mailto:mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net]
On Behalf Of Isaac Richards
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 11:03 PM
To: mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Subject: Re: [mythtv] New user

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 10:40 pm, Jonathan Wirch wrote:
> I'm new to MythTV and still reading and following this mailing list. I
> currently own a TiVo but very interested in creating my own. Just
> curious why you need a 2.4ghz processor for all of this. I know it
must
> be pretty cpu intensive stuff but still...shouldn't there be a way to
> optimize linux or remove other stuff you don't need? Isn't the TiVo
> processor only 33 or 66mhz. Read that on one of the tivo forums. If I
> build a set top box for just PVR/mp3/etc/etc I don't think I should
have
> to buy a p4 2.4 nearly top of the line just to get it to work.
>
> Can't wait to give this project a try, it has real promise, keep up
the
> good work.

You don't need anywhere near a p4 2.4 for this.  The XP 1800+ I have is
plenty
for really good quality 640x480 mpeg4 video, with lots (>30%) of cpu to
spare.  That's almost a gigahertz less if you compare straight speeds
with a
p4 2.4ghz.  Now, if you want to do _two_ full-size encodings at once,
that's
a different matter.

TiVos do all their encoding and decoding in hardware -- this stuff is
all
software, unless you use the (still in-progress) hardware mjpeg encoding

support that's in CVS.

Isaac