[mythtv] Playback optimization..

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:56:06 -0500

I just committed a patch by (mostly) Matt Zimmerman that really improves the
speed of video playback when using mpeg4.  rtjpeg is also improved a little,
but not nearly as much..  Basically, it removes extra full-framesize copies
from the playback pipeline.  So, this drops the CPU used in live-tv mode down
under 70% on my XP 1800+ with mpeg4 @ 3300 bps, 640x480, and it bottoms out
below 60% at times, depending on the scene.  The rtjpeg codec is helped as
well, but not quite to the same degree.

Anyway, I think I've gotten all the bugs worked out of this, so if people can
please confirm that things still work for them, that'd be great.  If there's
any cases of video corruption, or crashes, or whatnot, please let me know.

Isaac