[mythtv] NEWBIE: Disk space vs. CPU speed

Cedar McKay mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:52:22 -0800

> * Is there a ballpark figure for how much space I need e.g. for 1hr of
> video at default compression, how much would it be at a lower
> compression
> setting?

My impression is that with mpeg4 and sound compression you can get good
looking stuff for about 1.5 gig/hour
I was getting  pretty good looking results with a PIII 800 using the
rtjpeg encoder and sound compression off. With that setup I used 6
gig/hour.

> * How close do you feel is Mythtv to replacing a Tivo (e.g. stability,
> ease-of-use, etc.)?

really close. Except for the bearish install, and the inability to set
preference/settings through the gui I think it is right there with
tivo, In many respects it is more simple and elegant. If you are
willing to do initial setup through a terminal and have the ability to
set up a cron job to get listings every night, then the day to day use
of the system for girlfriend/mother/kids is great!

and getting better every day

Cedar