[mythtv] Poll: System Requirements

Allen T. Gilliland IV mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:57:40 -0800 (PST)

I just dropped my tv card into my current workstation
to try it on a better machine, works great.

The system:
P4 2400Mhz - 512MB DDR 2700
100GB WD Special Edition IDE 7200rpm
WinTV dbx 401
SB Audigy Gamer
Msi GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb
Gentoo 1.4
mythtv 0.7
hdparm test = 37.11 MB/secsettings.txt:

Codec=mpeg4
Width=640
Height=480
Quality=255
LumaFilter=0
ChromaFilter=0
TargetBitrate=3300
AudioSampleRate=32000
DontCompressAudio=1
Deinterlace=1

When watching live tv my cpu is bet 50% and 80%
With just recording my cpu is bet 30% and 50%

And both of those were done while mythfilldatabase was
running.

Quite and improvement over my Athalon 1200 which
really didn't work for me.  On this system I notice
all kinds of improvements from mythepg responding
faster, to channel changes happening faster, to the
obvious quality improvements.  Unfortunately this is
my worksatation, and is not going to sit in the home
theater, or run mythtv all day.  But its a good
guidline.

-- Allen