[mythtv] What I have learned

Nathan Lee mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:09:11 -0700

That sounds like my problem, I can hardly watch LiveTV at 640x480. I
have an Athlon 1.4, you wouldn't think I would have this problem. I
think ill try emerging fluxbox also.

Im not sure if this fixes the underlying problem tho. When I record on
my system, the cpu uses about 35%, but if I do live Tv, it takes 95% to
100%. To me this seems like it's a video problem. I have a gf2 mx400 in
the system.

Later

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net [mailto:mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net]
On Behalf Of Harri Hautakangas
Sent: November 19, 2002 3:31 PM
To: mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Subject: [mythtv] What I have learned

Hello all,

MythTV is almost too good to be true.

After couple of weeks I have a fully working system.
I've had my share of problems but I have solved them all.
Clues I read on the mailing list helped me enormously,
so I decided to share what I have learned to hopefully benefit someone.

1) Even after setting record on the line in, I did not hear anything. I
found a setting
called Igain (input gain) in Kmix or Capture in amixer that solved the
problem.

2) Us-cable frequency table did not work. Canada-cable did, but channels
did
not look as good
as they should have. I got this resolved today. My ATI TV-Wonder VE gets
recognized by
bttv but the tuner was not autodetected correctly. I had to manually set
the
correct tuner
in modules.conf. I got the correct tuner chip info by searching from
google.
After this
us-cable worked and picture quality is great.

3) KDE takes up alot of resources. I could not record using 640x480 or
even
480x480 without
getting some jerkiness and skipped frames etc. (1.1 Ghz Duron 384 RAM)
running under KDE.
Emerged (Running Gentoo) Fluxbox, and 640x480 was a piece of cake (well
not
a piece of cake
but works 100% with about 90% occupancy.)

Harri