[mythtv] Poll: System Requirements

Allen T. Gilliland IV mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:42:16 -0800 (PST)

This is almost a bit disheartening.

Here's my setup:

Athalon 1200MHz - 512MB SDRAM
80GB Seagate IDE 7200rpm
WinTV dbx 401
SB awe64 isa
Leadtek GeForce2 MX 400
Gentoo 1.4
mythtv 0.7
hdparm test = 17.11 MB/sec (i think this is limited my
my m/b to UDMA66)

Codec=mpeg4
Width=320
Height=240
AudioSampleRate=32000
DontCompressAudio=1

At these low resolution settings my cpu is practically
idle.  Spikes to around 25%, but is usually in the 10%
range.  Thats for just mythtv playback ... if I set
the resolution higher or start doing recordings at the
same time then the cpu goes much higher.  I can
usually do anything I need at low resolution with less
than 75% cpu.  The rtjpeg codec just makes the quality
worse, but doesn't change the artifact problem.

I still just don't get good quality playback :(
The higher I set the resolution the worse it gets,
however I believe that the problem is with the signal
somehow.  Even when I am using 320x240 I get little
tears in the picture that look like noisy signal.  The
higher the resolution the more noisy it gets.  Xawtv
works, but seems to have artifacts as well, just not
as bad as mythv.  If I raise the resolution to 640x480
w/ mpeg4 then I start to lose frames as my cpu maxes
out, so I know that my cpu is not holding me back at
the lower resolutions.

I have tried altering just about everything I know to
fix this quality problem, but I am still getting
nothing.  I have tried changing the bttv module
paramters to try different tuner types ... but it
doesn't change anything.  I went out and got a
Pinnacle pctv card to try instead, but I can't get it
working.

I'd like to know what bttv options ppl are using for
their Pinnacle cards to get them working.  And any
other advice as to why I am not getting decent quality
video.