[mythtv] Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV

John Coiner mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:08:32 -0500

It seems like a lot of people are seeing the same hang -- a complete
system lockup. This can't be a myth bug, b/c a user app should never be
able to do this. It can't be a linux bug, b/c there are none, right? So
it seems like a device driver issue.

I saw this problem after I made some changes to the system, so I
reverted the changes one by one and found that the newer version of ALSA
was crashing. It might have been -rc5, I'm not sure, this was almost a
week ago. The older version -- which I luckily had not deleted -- works
fine.

The older version that does work (for me; YMMV) is:

0.9.0-rc3 (driver, lib, utils)
0.9.0-rc1 (oss, tools)

The sound card is a Turtle Beach Malibu. It's an ISA card, similar to
AWE64 in capability.  This card has had ALSA support for a long time, so
it's funny that it would start crashing.

If you try this older version, please report back to the list,
especially if it fixes the problem. If this is a common problem, we can
investigate and put together a bug report to ALSA.

thanks.

-- john