[mythtv] DirecTV PPV EPG solution

tarek Lubani mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:01:23 -0500

Hey guys..

Well, I have lost a bit of sleep over this, but now (mercifully), it is done..

The script no longer generates an XML (though the code is in there and
commented out).. instead, the script now puts the PPV movies directly into
the database using some SQL stuffs.. It seemed inefficient, to say the
least, to have this script outputting something and then waiting for
another script to output something..

In any case, this solution is *suboptimal*, as I've heard it described..
This is a hack that runs on top of myth's usual programs. Also, I am a
hack, and don't actually know how to program in perl or any other language.
All of this contributes to the suboptimalness.. It will do the following;

1) Look up the PPV listings
2) format them as necessary
3) open a connection to mythconverg@127.0.0.1 with username/pass of (mythtv)
4) **DELETE** all listings with ChanID > 1100 and < 1200
5) Enter all the PPV information

the location of the script is at:

http://tarek.2y.net/mythtv/ppv.pl

You may or may not have to change the MYSQL settings, but they should be
easy enough to find.. They are on line 12. I recommend mythfilling using a
shellscript to replace the traditional mythfilldatabase.. The script looks
like this on my system:

#!/bin/bash
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
mythfilldatabase
ppv.pl

If somebody out here is sufficiently interested in sports, they can
probably easily  modify this thing so that it does the sports channels..

tarek : )