[mythtv] Feature Request: mythfilldatabase status

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:38:02 -0500

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 11:11 pm, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> Hrmm.  Good question.  That's a UI question, I think.  Did you plan
> on having any sort of status page for when you have a distributed
> setup with different front ends / back ends?  I would think that a
> status page would have information on it like:
>
> 1.  Last mythfilldatabase run (or highest guide data information)
> 2.  Status of servers: Encoder 1:  Recording program X, Encoder 2:
> Live TV Channel y
> 3.  Status of clients: "Client x: watching channel y"
>
> I don't know.  Maybe too complicated.  What _would_ a status page
> display?  How would it change in a distributed vs. monolithic system?
>  Do you have thoughts on how you're going to proceed?

Hmm, a status webpage or something generated by the master record box would
probably be the way to go.  Wouldn't be constrained by any particular UI
limitations, that way, and would most likely be the easiest thing to do.

> Is this a private to-do, or the one on the web page?

pen and paper =)  It used to be the same as the one on the webpage, but that
got too cumbersome to keep updated regularly.

> Hrmm.  That's why I think that discussion of potential features
> should be in the open, to see how receptive you are.  If a patch is
> developed that you don't like, then it's a bunch of work that the
> developer did that won't go anywhere, at least without splitting the
> tree, or maintaining private patches.

Of course -- here's an easy rule of thumb for what I'd accept:  If it changes
the default behavior, make it optional.  Unless, of course, its a completely
new feature, in which case I'd assume it'd be discussed a little here..
Stuff can always be run by me in IRC, as well.

Isaac