[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions -- One Step Closer

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:55:50 -0800 (PST)

OK, I'm actually getting closer to getting 'mythtv' up (I think).  MANY
thanks to Ray and Allen for their kind help.  This morning I was actually
able to get a green-screen (obviously the wrong input channel).  When I
hit 'c' to try and change to Composite3, my machine locked up.

Of course, this has spurred a few more questions for the experts (sorry
for the newbie questions, I really am trying here!):

1.  Do I need oss support?  I tried to look thru the archives, but the
lack of a search feature makes it a bit difficult.

2.  Under KDE, I went to the kernel modification section.  Do I need to
COMPLETELY turn off sound support, or just everything minus the top-level
sound support feature?

3.  Again in KDE under the control console kernel modifications section, I
noticed that video4linux was NOT ENABLED, however, I have been able to run
xawtv.  Do I need to enable it?  Seems like I do, but it wasn't enabled
before.

4.  I've found conflicting info on this.  Under RH8, how do I find out
what /dev my new alsa driver is using?  Is it /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c?

5.  What's the easiest way to test if ALSA is working correctly?  I DO
know that the alsa mod is loading up properly, I just don't hear anything!

Thanks in advance for not flamin' me :)
Jeremy