[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:12:56 -0800 (PST)

> On Monday 11 November 2002 04:58 pm, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>> Then it just hangs there.  I *DID* notice that, although it appears to
>> just be sitting there, the file (forget the name right now) in
>> /mnt/store keeps growing and growing.  It seems almost like it's
>> recording live TV but it's not able to show me what's going on.
>>

> You've been told to try ALSA.  So, do that.  Just sending new messages
> to the  list with the exact same information/questions isn't going to
> accomplish  anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, I'm _trying_ to
get some more detailed info.  mythtv doesn't send much to my shell so I
don't know where it's hanging.  I keep bringing up the fact that the file
in /mnt/store keeps growing because I thought that might be useful info
(but up to this point nobody has commented on that).  I'm also totally
unfamiliar with ALSA and I'm trying to get my head around it.  I _DO_ have
audio in other packages so I wasn't sure if ALSA is a recommendation for
those that are getting NO audio from anywhere.  I also asked how to find
out if other apps are grabbing /dev/dsp and, again up to this point, have
had no responses on how to track that down.  I guess the reason I keep
asking the same questions is because most of the questions are going
unanswered.

BTW, I copied the "exact same information" to my last question is a
_response_ to someone asking me what I was getting after running
mythfrontend.  Not knowing if he'd read my original post, I thought I'd
include it.  I figured too much information is better than not enough.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers.  I think the MythTV project is
incredible, but with all new developments, finding answers to questions
isn't exactly the easiest thing to do and when I can only dedicate a
couple hours a week to the project, I was hoping to get a handful of
things to try.

I'm just trying to get as much info under my belt before I can go back
attack my problems.

I can get that getting newbie questions can be real frustrating, but I
honestly don't know where to turn for certain things.  And I figure that,
because so many people on the mailing list are installing MythTV, they'd
be the best people to ask.

And so I'll ask it again...is there any way to get some verbose debugging
info?  My backtrace didn't yield much.

Jeremy

P.S.  The tone of this e-mail (if it is not obvious) is totally
apologetic.  I know that Isaac et al are doing this in their free time and
_any_ documentation and help is really appreciated.  I don't want to sound
like I'm whining or complaining.